Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Why do we do it? My Journey to OCC

Hello Packers!

     Can you all believe it?! National Drop Off Week is starting on the 16th here in the States and I know just how incredibly excited we all are for another glorious time to drop off our boxes and feel God's graces following our boxes to those in need. Looking back at how so many of us went a few years of our lives never knowing about Operation Christmas Child, it seems just a little crazy. Operation Christmas Child has become such a large part of my life in only two years and I've gone 18 years of my life not even knowing about Samaritan's Purse or the great work they do to help not only children but parents and disaster survivors. We all have our stories as to how we found Operation Christmas Child that without a doubt changed our lives for the better, so with that being said, I'm taking this post to tell you my journey. (This is a more personal post so if you would like actual Operation Christmas Child assistance, scroll down to my older posts.)

     Throughout my life, I have always been considered the "giver". I give more than I receive during the holidays, birthdays and so forth. I have been spoiling my family members and friends with things that bring them joy and I receive smiles that do more for me than any gift. But as I got into my late teens, I discovered that I'm not happy. I am the daughter of God and I am grateful but I wasn't doing anything with my life. I have been in a cycle of school, boyfriend, family, work: in that order and it was never ending. Then if I had free time, I would sit on the couch and stare at the computer...for hours...not doing anything productive.

     So, as I approached the last few months of my 19th year in October of 2014, I decided to look up some Christmas Cheer on Pinterest. (I'm a huge fan of Christmas and have countless boards) I type in two key words, "Christmas Volunteer" and through the typical "10 Random Good Deeds" and "15 Ways of Charity during the Holidays" pins, I found a picture of a red and green Go Box and the pinner wrote, "I absolutely love this organization and it is so easy to give!". Considering I am one of the laziest people on the planet, I check it out. Then lo and behold, a new packer was born!

     I was so amazed, entranced by the concept of Operation Christmas Child. This organization brought gifts to children that had never experienced Christmas before. It had shown me a side to myself that I didn't really look at, the side that told me that not only was I blessed by the Lord but I was spoiled. I had more stuffed animals in my closet than letters of the alphabet, I have electricity, a roof over my head, an opportunity at education and not only that: I have school supplies to better my education. I think that is what spoke to me the most when I came to this organization, was that we deserve basic education, everyone does and that these children were waiting for a school to even be built and then hike through mountains, rivers, deserts and so forth just to go to school only to not have any school supplies to write down what they learned...it was heartbreaking.

     Not all Christians support Operation Christmas Child and I can't blame them, the whole concept of associating the gift of Christ with materialistic possessions can put a damper on the concept of Operation Christmas Child. But, despite that fact: I still participate. Why? Operation Christmas Child speaks to me in volumes and the smiles on those faces, the way a child can break down and cry because they received something they've been praying for: that is why I do it, that is why I couldn't care less about the "materialistic exploitation", these kids speak to me without saying words, without meeting me face to face and my heart is overwhelmed with love for children that I have yet to meet.

     Packers, we are doing God's work down here by reaching out to those children. I pray that you all have safe trips to your drop off locations and pray for your boxes as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment