Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Spread The Word: Bring Great Joy

Hello Packers!

     Wow, we have exactly 6 days until the National Drop Off Week. How excited are you guys?! I'm so incredibly excited to wake up early in the morning, pack my trunk full of my boxes and drop off them off at my old church. I had such a wonderful time last year and ever since I started my donations to Operation Christmas Child, I've been telling EVERY BODY! Every single one of my coworkers knows about the organization, my hair dresser, my fellow classmates, all of my family members and my future in-laws. They all know about the Operation and some of my coworkers are actually filling up shoe boxes with their families now! Isn't that wonderful?
     Which brings me to the point of this post. God wants us to make disciples of His word, for us to do His work down on earth until we Him in Heaven. We might not get the same opportunities that Jesus's disciples got during their time and be able to walk from town to town without concern but God has provided us with an opportunity for us to spread the word of God to children and their families all over the world. 
     
     So, we are spreading the word through these boxes and the letters we send. Giving children the opportunity to learn about Christ....what else can we do? I know! Spread the word in the States! Did you know that not everyone knows about Operation Christmas Child? Let alone Samaritan's Purse. When ever I am caught buying over 10 deodorants at the store or multiple packs of socks and the bagger/cashier asks me why I'm buying so much (Something I've realized is a common occurrence) and I no longer feel shy telling them about Operation Christmas Child. 

     When I first started my shopping for Operation Christmas Child...with little less than a month to fill some boxes, I found myself a little embarrassed. I had two full shopping baskets filled to the top with dolls, tote bags, school supplies and the works while the people grabbing as many stocking fillers and left over Halloween items as they possibly could: here I was with two baskets and really, just taking up tons of space on the line. The cashier was a woman in her mid 50's and she looked at me with an eyebrow raised as she started to ring the items up. "You have a lot of kids at home?" She asked me and I shook my head instantly. "Oh no, these are items I'm putting in shoe boxes to send to children in third world countries." I say with a smile and I felt bad for the people in line because we ended up going into a ten or so minute conversation all about Operation Christmas Child.

     I'm telling you this because I saw the woman later THIS year and I was in the lane next to hers. She was scanning some lady's items and smiles as she sees some of the items. "Oh, I'll have to make sure to get some of these to put into my boxes." She said and I glanced back and saw how she was scanning some floral tote bags. That woman had no idea what Operation Christmas Child was and it was so amazing to hear that just within a year, she had discovered the organization and was filling shoe boxes right alongside the rest of us. 

     With that being said, packers, whenever you get the opportunity to tell others about the organization: you never know, you might just opening up a world unknown to this person and next year you might see them packing up boxes just like you. We are doing his work by doing so, we tell them, they discover the Lord's work and then pack more boxes which helps make more disciples out there. 

This organization truly does exhibit God's work and it is a blessing that we are able to contribute to the cause. Happy packing everyone and have safe trips to the Drop Off Locations!

PS: Drop Off Location Link
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/drop-off-locations/

No comments:

Post a Comment