Friday, February 12, 2016

99 Cent Store Clearance 2/12/16

Hello Packers!

     We all have more likely gone to the 99 cent store or Dollar Tree for some filler items for our shoe boxes before and we all know that after the holidays they go into great awesome deals to get rid of all their holiday merchandise. Well, when they have had items that take up too much shelf space and no one is buying them, then come in the glorious amounts of clearance items where "EVERYTHING MUST GO!". For most Clearance sale items they might have it at 2 for 99 cents or 4 for 99 cents but if you wait long enough, you will see that their items can go for 6 for 99 cents, thus leaving the items at 16 cents each! 

     I've been lucky enough to shop at the 99 cent store to see that they have clearance sections and most of it is silly, like bibs for babies or those drama movies that no one would ever pay real money to see. But something that has always been there and not really my top "go to" item were the Webkins figurines. I honestly think the whole webkins fad is weird and is like a live version of neopets and I don't know, it was just such a strange weird thing that my younger cousins just thrived off. 

     I was going to skip over these items because they seem rather silly but I started to look at it through my cousins' eyes. These silly figurines lined their doll houses, they gave them names, personalities and had them interact with their dolls. I might find the concept ridiculous on my side but if I would just stop and look at it from a kid's point of view, I can see how these silly figurines could be the highlight of their creative and imaginative spark. With that thought in mind, I took to the shelves.

With not much to go off of considering I don't know all too much about these figurines, I took the ones that were the most unique and the cutest ones that were available. Each of these items came out to about 16 cents and needless to say, my family all thought I was crazy because they have been to the 99 cent store and they know these usually go for about 1 dollar each. After explaining the purchase, my brother helped me unwrap all of the figurines. 

I will say this about these figurines, they are well painted and the material they are made of is quite durable. I will say though that you don't really realize the weight of these things until you take them out of the packaging. 



"Painting Hippo" and "Chow Down Duck"
"Ahoy Matey Monkey" and "Running Reindeer"
"Scaredy Lion" and "Dear Diary Bear"

     I guess what I took from this purchase is that we need to remember to look at our purchases through the eyes of a child. Sure, as adults we might think some items are silly or "too mainstream" but when it comes down to it, we aren't the ones opening these gifts: kids are. I think this was a great experience because it reminded me why I'm doing OCC in the first place, to give kids the chance to be kids in a situation where they can't really do that. 

Happy Packing Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment