Wednesday, June 8, 2016

OCC: The Brother Experiment

Hello Packers!

     So, I decided that I'm going to do something for my brother and some lucky 10-14 year old boy out there and let my sweet brother pick out items for a boys' 10-14 shoe box at the Dollar Tree. I gave my brother the categories and answered what he could and could not include in the boxes but didn't tell him exactly what to put in there. This box was made entirely with my brother's thoughts for the boy in mind.

     I will say that this was such an exciting experiment because I got to see how my brother took into consideration the boy's age and all the things that this child might be experiencing in these times. My brother took a more grown up approach to the box and that was a nice change of pace as he is right, most boys at that age have to be the man of the house or might have to take care of possibly their own children. So, with that mindset, I loved seeing how he was able to create a box with some fun but also a lot of things that he believed a boy would need.

SHOPPING:
Here is my glorious brother and his shoe box. I purchased a label of his own so that we will get an e-mail regarding his shoe box and where it will be headed. He wasn't all too happy about carrying the shoe box around at the store but when he realized that he needed to make sure things fit inside, the shoe box came in handy.














My brother's first item was a water bottle and he took a lot of consideration into the type of water bottle to include as a personal water bottle would be nice but the larger one will be more beneficial if it goes to a boy in a country where they get their water from a river or a well.





 When it came to school supplies, my brother did not hesitate in getting the pack with the most pencils which I believe was a pack of 18. He was a little upset that the pencils weren't already sharpened but a pencil sharpener was all he needed to add.





For the "Something to wear" category, my brother decided that some pairs of socks would be a great addition. He kept comparing the lengths of the ankle socks and the material.







Along the way, my brother devised a color preference of blue and green items in the box and searched for those colored items. He also asked what type of utensils these children were allowed to receive and voila, two sets of forks and spoons were placed in the box.





Picking a toothbrush was hard and my brother kept wondering if they were all the same price. He ended up choosing a pack of four toothbrushes and a child's toothpaste.






PACKING:
This is the set of items my brother chose to include:
-Mind Boggle Metal Puzzles
-Tooth brushes
-Pencils
-Water Proof Band-aids
-Thick Plastic Bowl
-Water Bottle
-Forks
-Spoons
-Thick Rope
-Towel
-Worker's Gloves
-Note Book
-Glider Plane
-Tooth paste
-Nail Clippers
-A deck of Cards
-High Ankle Socks
-Regular Ankle Socks
-Pencil Sharpener
My brother first got to put all the items that he could inside of the large water bottle as it took up a lot of space inside the box. In the water bottle is: Band-aids, forks, spoons, pencils, nail clippers, tooth brushes and the toothpaste.















He did not want me to help with the packing process so I just sat by and watched as he tried to pack all of his items into the box.








Unfortunately, it took both of us to figure out how to get all of the lovely gifts inside the shoe box. This is what the shoe box looked like after he and I got everything to fit. It is definitely a puffy box but what can I say, he likes to give like I do.





After all was packed and done, my brother wrote in a Christmas card and I wrapped his box in tons of rubber bands to keep it nice and closed. I'm super happy that my brother was willing to do this experiment with me and that he was so compassionate about what the child would like and not like. I had tons of fun with him and if you have a friend or family member that has never done something like this before, take them out and give them a dollar limit. (mine was $30) They'll really think about the child and it is such an exciting thing to see as you walk around and answer questions.

(Box 58)

Happy packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment